Historic Brownsville Pennsylvania
An historic site located in Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Operated by the Brownsville Historical Society, Nemacolin Castle offers tours and holds events throughout the year.
To learn the history of Nemacolin Castle, click here.
The Flatiron Building
Constructed (c. 1830) as a business building in thriving 19th-century Brownsville, is one of the oldest, most intact iron commercial structures west of the Allegheny Mountains. It is the unofficial "prototype" for the flatiron buildings seen across the United States. Learn more, click here.
First Cast Iron Bridge
Dunlaps Creek Bridge was the first cast iron bridge built in the United States. The metal arch bridge was constructed from 1836 to 1839 by the US Army Corps of Engineers. To learn more, click here.
Thomas H. Thompson House
Built in 1906, it is a 3 1/2-story brick dwelling with Spanish Colonial Revival style design details. It has a hipped roof clad with red Spanish tile, dormers on three sides of the roof, a full width front porch, and carved stone detailing. Also on the property is a two story, hipped roof carriage house built in 1917-1918. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1995. Click here to learn more.
Historic Saint Peter's Church
The first Catholic parish in Fayette County, it is the oldest continuously operating parish in Western Pennsylvania. The church was established in 1843 to serve the burgeoning Irish American population. The founders built the church to be a future cathedral. The pulpit is located to the left of the altar, as in a cathedral. The stone Gothic Revival church building on Church Street is a landmark. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. For more information, click here.
Other historic buildings in Brownsville
Brashear Tavern (c 1797)
Christ Episcopal Church (1859)
International Order of Odd Fellows Building (1876)
Monongahela National Bank (1902)
Snowden Building (1907)
Crawford Building (1908)
Second National Bank (1916)
Union Station (1928)
Borough Building (1940)